Friday, October 17, 2014

Vacances de la Toussaint 2014 (Thanksgiving Holiday)

Tomorrow, October 18th, is the start of the Vacances de la Touissaint - Thanksgiving Holiday - for the schools in Paris.  There is a national holiday on Nov 1 that falls within this break called Touissant or All Saints Day - a holiday celebrated in most Catholic entrenched countries like France.  It's primarily to remember all of the Christian Saints and Christian believers who have passed.  Jonathan will be out of school for two weeks.  The first two week break out of four that he'll have in the school year.  He'll have a Christmas break in December, a winter break in February and then a spring break in April.  It's pretty awesome. How I wish it had been like this for me when I was in primary and secondary school!

The school system is so wonderful here - they really try their best to help working parents by having special activities at the school during these breaks.  So, at a minimal cost, you are able to drop your child at school and go to work, knowing they'll be entertained and happy.  Also, a lot of the workers work out a schedule where they have long weekends or days off during the break because there are so many family-centric activities that they can do, particularly at all the museums in the city.

I of course am a bit overwhelmed deciding exactly what we're going to do, exacerbated by the fact that I was tied up completing a 4000 word (16 page) paper that God finished on Wednesday.  Let me clarify - that God wrote and finished on Wednesday, after staring it on Monday.  I take no credit - and am astounded even now that it got done.  He's good!

Anyway, I'm still trying to get myself together to figure out exactly what I'll do with Jonathan during the days that I'm not in class and he's off.  The days I'm in class next week, he'll be at school (as described above).  There are so many museums that I want to hit and parks I haven't gotten to, that I'm gonna try to hit as much of those as possible with him while the weather is decent.  I will post as we go along - and hopefully with pictures that you can see.  Apparently, my pics aren't showing up and I'm not sure why. I've yet to have time to investigate. It's probably because I simply copied them from my emails to the blog and likely need to actually upload them, which is a pain.   I won't be able to get to the fix until the week after next.  So big apologies to everyone for the tease of saying "look here" when there was nothing to look at!

Now as I was writing this, I remembered that I forgot to hand in my form for Jonathan to participate in the vacation activities on next Thursday and Friday, so I can only hope and pray that they accept the form on Monday!  Please Lord!

Not that there is any assurance that I can still take the class or remain in the program because, as of today, I still do not have anyone to watch Jonathan for the Saturday class.  However, I am praying and believing. Praying hard in fact.  And the Lord has seen fit to seal my prayers in agreement with another by knitting me with a fellow prayer warrior who is in my cohort!

Her name is Winsome and she is an Indian heritage South African. A mighty woman of God and we have so much in common!  She is 48 - so along with my 47 year old self, we're the two oldest folks in our cohort.  She arrived with plans to teach and attend class but has run into a number of issues securing teaching ESL positions (that is her vocation and she has taught in several geographies over the last 20 years). She's also has not found permanent housing yet. Her funds are low and she's desperate. However, we've been praying for both of our desperate situations and believing the hand of God will provide - all to His glory and fame!  I have to praise Him now for the confidence that He has given me in His faithfulness.  His children shall not go begging for bread - or trustworthy, dependable, energetic, creative and fun babysitters!

Anyway, I believe tomorrow we're gonna head (Jonathan and I) to the Jardin du Luxembourg or the Luxembourg Gardens. I've been trying to get back there (visited back in 2010 with my girlfriend and former colleague, Sandy) since our first week in Paris. The weather is supposed to be quite nice and the gardens has one of the best playground in the city.  The gardens themselves are absolutely stunning.  Lotsa pics will be snapped - and hopefully seen by our faithful readers!  Update:  Here they are! 


 
 
 

Also a couple of videos:



Finally, keep us in prayer.  I really need to find Jonathan a nice little friend to play with in our neighborhood.  The kids in our building do not come out of their apartments and kids in the playgrounds are not always the warmest and friendliest kids.  He is so social and really needs to have constant interaction and I feel like He is starved for it outside the classroom.  I unfortunately can't enroll him in any activities like soccer or karate, cause that stuff doesn't start till children are at least 4 years of age.  I'm gonna look into some of the playgroup info that I got from the Bloom Where You're Planted event at the American Church and there's also a theater group that I think he would enjoy and that starts at age 3, but a cool friend or two in the neighborhood would be nice, as well.  He suffered from this same issue when we were in Jersey. It wasn't so bad in NJ cause he was still in that toddler zone and toddlers sort of play by themselves even when they're playing with others. However, he's moving into that social play, little boy zone and I just want him to be able to enjoy it as much as possible - it's how he's built. I wasn't built that way - still not. I'm an introvert with a capital I - and so it's a bit hard for me to give him the extra stimuli that he requires (real hard).  He can play by himself for about 10-15 minutes and then he starts acting out and needs attention - someone to play with him, so... anyway, that's the prayer for now, well that and...

A GREAT BABYSITTER - PLLLLEEEEAASSSEE!:-)



No comments:

Post a Comment